Cher and Ellis Knightingale opened Kalendar restaurant in 1994 with
only 15 tables inside and 2 patio tables outside. We have grown over
the years moving up from “tiny” to “cozy & intimate”. Our store front
has been a meeting spot since 1912, this space started as a barber
shop that offered haircuts for 10 cents.
We opened our restaurant with a romantic vision of evoking
favourite places visited all over the world, and bringing that
romantic flavor to our little spot.
Kalendar’s patio creates a sparkling warm atmosphere on a summer
night. Our patio lanterns are from a delightful cafe in Sultanamet in Istanbul, Turkey, created from hollowed out gourds, and colorful
Romantic and cozy
Continually voted as best place for a first date, and most romantic restaurant in Toronto..
Kalendar’s oak bar was retrofitted from a vestry unit originally from a
turn of the century Catholic Seminary in the Quebec provinces.
Kalendar offers a wide variety of cravable dishes, eclectic
international comfort food. Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner
and of course for Kalendar’s very popular weekend brunches.
We have the original latin names of the calendar months stenciled
on the red wall in the dining room along with the year Kalendar
opened. Did you know the original Roman calendar was only 10
months and only 304 days? An additional number of winter days,
reckoned between the end of December and the beginning of the
following March, were not assigned to any month. The original Ro-
man calendar is believed to have been based on a lunar calendar.
The 10 months, beginning in modern March, were named Martius,
Aprilis, Maius, Junius, Quintilis, Sextilis, September, October,
November, and December. The last six of these months were
derivatives from the Latin words for five,six,seven,eight,nine,and
ten, respectively. According to legend, Romulus, the fist King of
Rome, is supposed to have introduced this calendar in the 8th
We found a majority of our clocks in Les Puces de Saint-Ouen
market in Paris. The clock in the dining room on the north wall is
from an old country school house in Ontario. All of our clocks
worked when they started here, but mysteriously they are never able
to continue working once hung on our walls (in fact the bar clock
moved backwards for days before finally stopping all together!).
Perhaps our clocks are telling us, for now time has stopped. Enjoy
your time here with us.
The golden crystal chandeliers in the bar were originally brought
over from France for the historic Sherbourne Villa, originally a
private home and later the Fudger House, one of the grand houses
of Victorian Toronto on Jarvis St. The house was torn down in 1964,
but we have saved a little part of it’s history here.
A little Toronto history on the Fudger house: When it officially
opened in January 1917, the Sherbourne House Club offered
one hundred and fifty rooms for “self-supporting business
women,” most of whom worked for Simpson’s. A variety of
activities were offered to residents and outsiders, including
classes, clubs, dances, exercise, readings, and other means of
broadening one’s horizons. Some decorum was expected of
residents—showing up for breakfast in curlers was a no-no.
According to the Star, “It was Mr. Fudger’s feeling that the
beautiful artistic equipment and surroundings of the property
and the comfort and economy afforded…should be an
inducement to all the residents to co-operate in every way in
study, work and prayer for the betterment of the community of
the city of Toronto.” article